In the year eighteen seventy two, Dr. Stephen Smith founded an association for the professionals in the health sector in America and it was known as the American Public Health Association (APHA). It currently has over thirty thousand members globally. APHA, international health section has the following missions towards the improvement of international health:
- Provide a forum that consists of different disciplines who will exchange views and knowledge both scientific and public on the issues that affect global and international health.
- Make alliances with the members in APHA who have got interests that coincide with global and international health.
- Fight for important health issues within APHA and different government levels, which will make a positive impact internationally and globally.
- To serve as counsel when it comes to the scientific, technical and political reasonable approaches to the recognition and progression of health problems that are said to be global and international.
- Create awareness and encourage discussions among health and other professionals and also the public on the issues of health that are global and international.
The international health section has over fourteen thousand members that constitute of professionals both students, directors (program) and professors that have specialized in international health and are in each and every state in America.